The Organisation and Activities of the UL Libraries
There are 39 academic libraries at the faculties and academies of the University of Ljubljana. The UL library system also includes the National and University Library (NUK) and the Central Technological Library at the University of Ljubljana (CTK), which are associated members of the UL since 2003. The coordination of library management is carried out by the Vice-rector, the Library Council and the University Office of Library Services.
The basic mission of academic libraries is to provide all types of library services and information sources for study and research. While their main users are students, teachers, researchers and other UL employees, the libraries are also open for membership to other users. The UL students pay the membership fee at the home faculty or academy while enrolling and can afterwards use all the UL libraries with a student card.
The method of operation, the range of services and the prices are specified by each library in its Rules of Operation. The Senate of the UL adopted the umbrella Rules on 1 October 2004. The basic user services include:
- loan of library items,
- the use of public library catalogues, the cooperative catalogue and other databases and information sources,
- providing information about the sources and from the sources,
- assistance and advice in finding resources, information and using the library,
- giving information about the novelties in the library,
- interlibrary loan,
- training users to use the library,
- photocopying material owned by the library,
- the reservation of library items,
- use of technical equipment for users,
- access to the World Wide Web,
- the organisation of events.