Call for Enrolment in the doctoral degree programmes of the University of Ljubljana in the 2021/2022 academic year
Interdisciplinary doctoral programme in BIOMEDICINE (second application deadline: 30 August - 6 September 2021)
Interdisciplinary doctoral programme in BIOMEDICINE,
offered by the following member faculties of the University of Ljubljana:
- Biotechnical Faculty, Jamnikarjeva ulica 101, 1000 Ljubljana
- Faculty of Pharmacy, Aškerčeva cesta 7, 1000 Ljubljana
- Faculty of Chemistry and Chemical Technology, Večna pot 113, 1000 Ljubljana
- Faculty of Medicine, Vrazov trg 2, 1000 Ljubljana
- Veterinary Faculty, Gerbičeva ulica 60, 1000 Ljubljana,
in cooperation with the following research institutes:
- Jožef Stefan Institute, Jamova cesta 39, 1000 Ljubljana
- Chemistry Institute, Hajdrihova 19, 1001 Ljubljana, and
- National Institute of Biology, Večna pot 111, 1000 Ljubljana.
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Public Health
- Clinical Biochemistry and Laboratory Biomedicine
- Clinical Medicine
- Basic Medicine
- Medical Microbiology
- Veterinary Medicine
More information: https://www.uni-lj.si/study/doctoral/biomedicine/
University of Ljubljana Office for Doctoral Study, Kongresni trg 12, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia,
Number of enrolment places: 180 – in total for citizens of the Republic of Slovenia, citizens of EU Member States, Slovenians without Slovenian citizenship and foreign citizens.
Official length of programme: 4 years
Enrolment in the interdisciplinary doctoral study programme Biomedicine is open to candidates who have completed:
- a second-cycle study programme;
- a study programme leading to professions regulated by EU directives, or another integrated master's degree programme evaluated at 300 ECTS credits;
- a study programme leading to an academic higher education qualification, adopted before 11 June 2004;
- a master of science degree or a study programme leading to specialisation, if the candidate has previously completed a programme leading to an academic higher education qualification. Course units totalling 60 ECTS credits are recognised for these candidates based on their application, as provided by law,
- a study programme leading to a specialisation following a completed professional higher education programme. Additional study requirements for individual fields totalling 30 to 60 ECTS credits are determined for these candidates by the Biomedicine Programme Council.
Enrolment in the doctoral programme is also open to graduates of foreign universities. The equivalence of previously acquired education in a foreign country will be established by means of the procedure for the recognition of foreign qualifications for the purposes of further education in accordance with the Statutes of the University of Ljubljana.
Selection criteria in the event of restricted enrolment:
In the event of restricted enrolment, the candidates will be selected based on:
- performance in 2nd cycle studies or performance in an integrated master’s programme evaluated at 300 credits, or performance in a former academic higher education programme
- the selection exam, where the following is also evaluated:
1. a reviewed scientific article, published or accepted for publication,
2. awards and recognitions,
3. professional specialisation and
The rating method is determined by the Programme Council.
In the event of restricted enrolment, candidates with a higher total score will be selected.
Mode of study: part-time
Procedures and deadlines for application to the Call and enrolment:
Candidates (Slovenian citizens, EU citizens, Slovenians without Slovenian citizenship) for enrolment must apply for the programme by 10 August 2021, 23:59 CEST, via the eVŠ web portal. Non-EU foreign candidates must apply by 31 May 2021, 23:59 CEST, via the information system eVŠ. Candidates should submit all evidence required for their application via the electronic information system eVŠ.
Candidates lacking the appropriate prior education for involvement in the work of the core course of their chosen scientific field may be assigned an additional exam, which must be passed prior to enrolment, by the Programme Council on the proposal of the coordinator of the scientific field.
The selection procedure will be done by the Programme Council Biomedicine on its session scheduled for 26 August 2021. Applicants will be notified of the decisions by e-mail or via the eVŠ system at the beginning of September.
Enrolment will be conducted electronically via the websites of member faculties that coordinate specific scientific fields:
- at the Biotechnical Faculty for the field of Genetics,
- at the Faculty of Pharmacy for the fields of Pharmacy, Clinical Biochemistry, Laboratory Biomedicine and Toxicology,
- at the Faculty of Medicine for the fields of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Clinical Medicine, Basic Medicine, Public Health, Medical Microbiology and Neuroscience,
- at the Veterinary Faculty for the field of Veterinary Medicine,
and will be completed by 30 September 2021 at the latest.
Prior to enrolment, candidates are required to choose a mentor and submit, upon enrolment at the latest, the mentor’s written consent to mentorship. The mentor must provide at least three references pertaining to the field of the envisaged topic of the doctoral dissertation, and must meet other conditions laid down by the University of Ljubljana regarding mentorship in doctoral studies. Candidates are also required to submit their concept for the doctoral dissertation, and must do so by enrolment at the latest.
All other enrolment-related information will be published on the website of the Biomedicine study programme https://www.uni-lj.si/study/doctoral/biomedicine/application/call-b. .