Call for Enrolment in the doctoral degree programmes of the University of Ljubljana in the 2022/2023 academic year
Doctoral programme in LEGAL STUDIES
Doctoral programme in LEGAL STUDIES,
offered by the University of Ljubljana Faculty of Law, Poljanski nasip 2, 1000 Ljubljana, covering the following programme modules:
- Civil Law
- Labour Law and Social Security Law
- Economic Analyses of Law
- European Law
- Commercial Law
- Criminal Law
- International Law
- Legal History
- Roman Law
- Theory of the State and Law
- Administrative Law
- Constitutional Law
More information at: https://www.pf.uni-lj.si/en/3rd-cycle/
Contact: , tel.: +386 1 4203 121
Number of enrolment places: 41 – in total for citizens of the Republic of Slovenia, citizens of EU Member States, Slovenians without Slovenian citizenship and foreign citizens.
Official length of programme: 4 years
Enrolment in the doctoral study programme is open to candidates who have completed:
- a second-cycle study programme (Bologna master's programme);
- an academic higher education programme adopted before 11 June 2004;
- candidates who have completed a master's study programme leading to the title of master of science (magister znanosti) may apply for recognition of up to 60 ECTS credits from the first year of doctoral studies and may enrol in the second year of the doctoral study programme provided that they prepare and submit an outline of their doctoral dissertation. Candidates who were enrolled in a master's study programme but have not completed and have not obtained the title of master of science may apply for recognition of completed study requirements in lieu of subjects from the first year of doctoral studies. The decision on the recognition of completed study requirements is taken by the committee responsible for doctoral studies;
- a professional higher education programme adopted prior to 11 June 2004 and a study programme leading to a specialisation. Before enrolment, these candidates must complete course units consisting of a maximum of 35 ECTS credits from the second-cycle programme in legal studies. The study requirements (selection of courses) are determined for such candidates by the Faculty’s doctoral study committee, which takes into account the candidate’s field of education (type of programme the candidate has completed);
- a study programme leading to professions regulated by EU directives, or another integrated master's degree programme evaluated at 300 ECTS credits.
Enrolment in the doctoral programme in Legal Studies is also open to graduates of foreign universities. The equivalence of previously acquired education in a foreign country is established by means of the procedure for the recognition of foreign qualifications for the purposes of further education, in accordance with the regulations that apply to the University of Ljubljana.
Selection criteria in the event of restricted enrolment:
Each year the Faculty of Law decides on the number of available places for doctoral studies.
In the event of restricted enrolment, the following will be considered:
- in the amount of 30%, academic success in second-cycle studies (grade point average and grade for master’s thesis) and in an academic programme adopted prior to 11 June 2004 (grade point average and grade for diploma thesis);
- results of the selection exam (70%).
Depending on the number of suitable candidates and mentors, the Doctoral Studies Commission may decide to limit enrolment in an individual module.
Location: Ljubljana, Faculty of Law main building, Poljanski nasip 2, 1000 Ljubljana
Mode of study: full-time
Procedures and deadlines for application to the Call and enrolment:
The application deadline is 19 August 2022, 23:59 CEST. Candidates must complete and submit by the deadline their application for enrolment in the doctoral programme and all required evidence electronically via the eVŠ web portal.
In addition to the completed B3 Mentorship proposal (Slov. Predlog mentorstva) form for doctoral study, which must be signed by the mentor, the application must include: the draft of the planned doctoral dissertation, a brief CV, a copy of the diploma certificate (for undergraduate and post-graduate study) or certificate of graduation if the diploma certificate is yet to be issued, and a certificate attesting the grade of the final thesis, certificate on completed exams (for undergraduate and graduate study) and grade point average, while candidates who have obtained their professional or scientific titles abroad must also provide the decision on the recognition of their qualifications for the purpose of further education at the University of Ljubljana Faculty of Law.
An information day for the doctoral study programme will be held on 19 May 2022, and candidates seeking further clarification should e-mail: .
Candidates will receive notifications via the e-mail stated in their applications or on the eVŠ web portal on the necessary procedures and enrolment dates after the application deadline is closed, by 15 September 2022.