Go to content
Home page
  1. Top news
  2. Information guide for international students
    1. Frequently asked questions about exercising the rights of students at the University of Ljubljana
    2. University of Ljubljana
    3. Why study at the University of Ljubljana?
    4. Degree programmes
    5. Fees
    6. Application for enrolment and recognition of foreign education
    7. Learning Slovene
    8. Year plus
    9. Study regulations
    10. Academic calendar
    11. Grading system
    12. Special needs and special status
    13. Psychosocial counselling service for students
    14. Persons with international protection
    15. Student identity card
    16. IT services
    17. Access to the libraries
    18. Scholarships
    19. Student associations
    20. Social media
    21. Living in the Republic of Slovenia
    22. Useful contacts and quick overview
    23. Recognition and prevention of violence in the academic environment
  3. Bachelor's and Single-cycle master's degree programmes
  4. Master degree programmes
  5. Doctoral degree programmes
  6. Programmes and Subjects in English
  7. International Cooperation and Exchange
  8. Impressions
  9. Career centres, tutelage, extracurricular activities
  10. Summer school 2023
  11. Young Researchers
  12. Latest research news
  13. Student council
  14. University of Ljubljana member faculties and academies
  15. University ranking
  16. Useful contacts and quick overview
  17. Year plus
  18. Students with special needs and special status
  19. Mental health
  20. Admission procedure

Living in the Republic of Slovenia
Health insurance and student health services

Before coming to Slovenia make sure you have appropriate health insurance coverage (including for accidents and liability) and enough supply of any prescription medications that you need.

If you have medical issuess, you should contact the STUDENT HEALTH CENTRE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF LJUBLJANA, which has a team of qualified professionals providing healthcare to University of Ljubljana students. 


 (in English) 


Every time you go to the Student Health Centre of the University of Ljubljana, you have to make an appointment by email: 

EUROPEAN HEALTH INSURANCE CARD: A free card that gives you access to medically necessary, state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in any of the 27 EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland and the United Kingdom, under the same conditions and at the same cost (free in some countries) as people insured in that country. 

More information on how to apply, benefits and how to use it, you can find on this website

International students coming from EU and EEA Member countries and Switzerland have free access to emergency or necessary healthcare services during their temporary residence in the Republic of Slovenia upon submission of evidence of their status: the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or a certificate as a substitute for EHIC that is issued by the competent state (E 128 form, E 111 form; the document type depends on the authorized insurance agency of the country of their origin. Namely, the students should contact the authorized insurance agency, where they have been insured, and ask for one of the above-mentioned forms). This means that the doctor has to provide necessary healthcare services to students who hold a European health insurance card so that they do not have to return to their home country for medical care before the end of their intended stay in Slovenia. Students can access the services directly from health care service providers who have a contract with the Health Insurance Institute Slovenia. 

International students from countries with which the Republic of Slovenia has concluded a bilateral agreement on social insurance have free access only to emergency healthcare services in the Republic of Slovenia upon submission of evidence of their status. The Republic of Slovenia has concluded bilateral Social Insurance Agreements with the Republic of North Macedonia, Republic of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Republic of Serbia, and Montenegro. As a rule, a foreign insured person must submit sample form RM/SI 3, BIH/SI 3, SRB/SI 03 or MNE/SI 03 to the regional unit of the Health Insurance Institute Slovenia. The Health Insurance Institute Slovenia issues a certificate PotrdiloMedZZ which allows students access to emergency medical services from healthcare service providers who have a contract with the Health Insurance Institute Slovenia. Exceptionally, i.e. in cases of major emergency, a foreign insured person may exercise their right to healthcare services with one of the above mentioned forms directly at the doctor’s office and medical institutions.

During their stay in Slovenia, students with valid health insurance in Australia can assert only urgent medical care with heath care providers, which wave a signed agreement with the Health Insurance Institute Slovenia. They must present their MEDICARE Australian card and passport used to check the identity of the insured person from Australia.

Persons from non-EU and non-EEA countries, Switzerland or from countries with which Slovenia has not concluded bilateral agreements on social insurance take out their compulsory health insurance policy at one of the local units of the Health Insurance Institute of Slovenia. Upon registering for this compulsory health insurance policy, students have to submit a certificate that confirms they are enrolled in an educational programme in Slovenia. The registration and the payment of the policy's cost are the responsibility of the student. Further information is available at the competent regional unit of the Health Insurance Institute Slovenia.

Notably, based on their inclusion in the insurance system of Slovenia, international students have free access to health care services within the scope of compulsory health insurance. Considering that they are required to cover the difference to the full price of healthcare services themselves, they can also take out supplementary health insurance at a commercial insurance company (Vzajemna, Generali, Triglav). 

For more information about health insurance for international students, please contact Department for international health insurance, Mala ulica 3 Ljubljana, , and visit their website, where you will find detailed explanations.
If you have health insurance in: What do you have to do and what do you get?
EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland, United Kingdom Have a valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), or a certificate that serves as a substitute for it. Some services are free; for others there is usually a copayment of €3-10 per visit.1,2
Australia Have a valid Medicare card and passport. Some services are free; for others there is usually a copayment of €3-10 per visit.1,2
Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Serbia 1. Get the BIH/SI 3 or MNE/SI 03 or SRB/SI 03 or RM/SI 3 form in your home country, from the institution that provides your health insurance. 2. Submit the form to the Health Insurance Institute of Slovenia (Mala ulica 3, Ljubljana), which will issue your MedZZ certificate. Your insurance is not valid without the certificate. Some services are free; for others there is usually a copayment of €3-10 per visit.1,2
Other countries Buy health insurance from a private insurance company in your home country or in Slovenia. Depending on the type of insurance, you usually pay €20-50 per visit2 and then ask for a refund from your insurance company. 
Students withouth health insurance You pay for healthcare services yourself (usually €20-50 per visit).2

1 Services are free if there is a negative change in your health (determined by the doctor).
2 Prices based on ZDŠ averages. You can pay by card or in cash.

You can also get the Slovenian national health insurance: www.zdstudenti.si/en/information-for-patients/health-insurance


If you are in a life-threatening situation or have had an accident, call 112. If it is necessary, an ambulance will take you to the nearest emergency department, where you will get urgent medical treatment. Emergency departments are open 24/7 and offer only emergency medical help. You do not need to make an appointment. If your situation is not an emergency, contact Student Health Centre instead. At the emergency department, you have to pay yourself for all non-emergency medical services. In Ljubljana, you can go to the Emergency Department (Urgenca) of the Ljubljana University Medical Centre (Zaloška 7, Ljubljana, +386 1 522 46 46.


Psychosocial counseling is available for all University of Ljubljana students (in Slovenian). 

  • For counseling in English please contact:  
  • For counseling in Bosnian, Croatian, Montenegrin, or Serbian please contact: 


The Psychiatric Department at the Student Health Centre offers help in English and in Bosnian, Croatian, Montenegrin, or Serbian. Make an appointment during office hours: , +386 1 200 74 11.


Students in the first year of the first degree study program undergo a preventive systematic medical examination, as determined by the regulations in the field of preventive health care.  

We recommend that you take advantage of the right to free preventive systematic medical examinations, as this is your right.  

Enrollment or promotion to a higher year of study cannot be conditioned on a preventive systematic medical examination.

Bring to the systematic review:

– health card (international students: European card + photocopy or convention: Right to health services for a foreign insured person + photocopy)
– Self-payers: 38,00 euro
– PAPER registration certificate


Health insurance

Photo: www.pexels.com